Closeness
Closeness. What is it? I think we all have a different definition of what it means. Lately, my definition of closeness has started to become a lot more clear.
As we all know, life is full of bumps, bruises, obstacles, and sadness. Why do I sound so negative? Let's face it. It's the tough times in life that really shape you, challenge you, and help you grow. These are the "moments" that we remember.
While I never look for pity and always know that "it's not that bad", I have experienced my share of hardships in my life. At some point in my life, probably around my sophomore year of college when my mom had a stroke, I started to be grateful for my hardships rather than bitter and resentful of them. So, you ask, how does this define closeness?
From my perspective, closeness is viewed in two different ways. One from the outside and one from the inside. The media defines closeness as families with a happy marriage, two kids, dog, and white picket fence, all from the outside. It seems that those families, those relationships, are the ones that are the most distant. They lack the most basic aspects of what makes relationships grow, honesty and communication.
How many relationships are doomed because of secrets? financial problems?
By honesty, I mean to tell people how you truly feel, regardless of the consequence. These statements of truth will ultimately lead to pain, arguments, and feelings of betrayal. Who wants/needs that? The truth is, we all do.
They say that "the truth shall set you free". It is the criticisms we receive, it is the hardships we go through, it is the ability to share our experiences with others, and ultimately learn from others that brings us closeness.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home