Lost in (Korean) Translation
Growing up speaking a different language than your parents can be very frustrated. When I say different language, I mean literally, not generation gaps, but not understanding a word that comes out of their mouth.
I was recently thrown in the middle of a business deal that is completely korean. Everything about it is korean and I've come to realize that the internet does not have the answer for everything. I have tried using it to translate some emails and the translation that comes back makes absolutely no sense. I am left to get details from my parents, who seem to stuggle with providing explanations for things in english.
I have heard many americans say, "how could people live in the U.S. for 20 years and not speak the language?" or "if they can't speak the language, than they shouldn't be here." I've seen this attitude in books, movies, media, and even people that I wouldn't expect to hear it from. For all I know, someone reading this could be one of those people. If you are or you know someone that feels this way, here is a response for someone who actually knows.
First off, English is a very complicated language. In fact, most people say that it is the hardest language to learn.
People in the U.S. seem to be so patriotic. Why is this? I would assume because of what this country stands for, which to many, is freedom.
What does freedom mean? Wikipedia defines freedom as "the ability to act in accordance with one's own true self or values". Freedom in this country allows people to come here and speak whatever language they want or act however they want within the law. Freedom in the U.S. has allowed people of many backgrounds to settle here. In turn, this has allowed many people of the same background to come to this country and speak their native language in their communities. It doesn't force them to have to learn English, but also limits their lifestyles as well. Either way, they have to freedom or the right to choose.
So if you are one of those patriotic people that thinks non-English speaking immigrants or foreigners are not welcome in the U.S., wake up. This is exactly what your country stands for. Maybe it's you that should move to a communist country where everyone speaks the same language and does the same thing. Some people have no idea how fortunate they are and never take the time to think about it or ever realize it. Shame on you.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home